Friday, February 5, 2010

Book Review: Grails: A Quick-Start Guide

It's been 5 months since my last post. I have dozens of times thought "I need to post this." But -- as I was working 12X7 on a major Grails-based order entry system and two other smaller Grails projects and authored 3 articles on Grails and delivered a multi-city seminar tour on Grails -- I simply didn't have the time. But things are slowing down now.

I recently burned through The Pragmatic Programmer's new book: "Grails: A Quick-Start Guide" by Dave Klein. I was impressed. Attendees to my seminars and Grails mentees usually ask "What's a good book to buy on Grails?" Well, "The Definitive Guide to Grails" authored by the creator of Grails, Graeme Rocher, is a bit too long for beginners. I think of it as the Grails bible. "Grails in Action," by Glen Smith and Peter Ledbrook, is fabulous as it is very written. But its 487 pages can be a bit daunting. "Grails: A Quick-Start Guide" is very approachable. It is just barely over 200 pages and it very succinctly written. It is now my recommended book for Grails beginners.

No comments: